Making a career in investment management can challenge both women and men.
Here are some tips I’ve heard recently.
On bosses, mentors, and sponsors
- “Having a boss who throws you into the deep end of the pool is a good thing.”
- Look for sponsors who’ll throw their weight behind you. They’re different from mentors who only give you advice.
- Outsource everything.
- “I don’t cook. I don’t clean. I don’t iron.”
- Find a good nanny. Don’t be upset if your children love them. Pay them well.
- Give up stuff. You may need to narrow your life to only work and time with your family.
- “Don’t be a guilty mom.” Guilty moms overindulge their kids.
- Take a child – just one, if you have more than one – on a business trip. You’ll create a wonderful memory that’ll last for years.
Do you have career advice or an interesting story to share?