You’re not alone if you feel uncomfortable responding to news of a death.
What do you say when you learn a client has lost a family member?
Are any of the following responses appropriate? What would YOU say?
- At least you still…
- Call me anytime you want to talk.
- How do you feel?
- How do you hope people will remember ___?
- I can’t imagine how you feel.
- I know how you feel.
- I’m so sorry.
- Is there anything I can do?
- Life will never be the same without ____.
- What happened?
Please answer the anonymous poll in the right-hand column of this blog. Comments are also welcome. In fact, they’re almost required because my dratted software lets you pick only one response to this complex situation.
I’ll report on the results in the next issue of my e-newsletter.
I look forward to learning from you.